Using taxi in Japan may cost more than your country.
It is an expensive way for moving methods.
Normally, taxis may be unnecessary for traveling in Japan.
Around famous tourist spots are sufficient by other public transportations.
However, taxis is the only way for transporting after trains and buses stop operation around midnight.
Mostly people in Japan use taxis only on business, when drunk or some times when trains stop in sudden accidents.
Good parts of Japanese taxi
- Most drivers are very polite and drive safe.
- All taxis are very clean. Never seen an unclean taxi.
- Smoking is not allowed
Bad parts of Japanese taxi
- Mostly drivers can’t speak English
- Some drivers(mostly new drivers) only know famous destinations.
How much does taxis cost
Taxi rates are calculated by distance and time.
The cost are a little different by taxi companies.
Here are details how the rates are calculated
- First 2km costs around JPY650 to JPY780.
- After 2km, JPY90 costs for each 288m.
- If the taxi speed gets under 10km/h, JPY90 costs each 1Minute and 45seconds.
How to catch a taxi
Mosly in large cities you don’t have to worry catching taxis.
Allots of taxis are waiting for riders around train stops and roads nearby.
Negotiating for Costs
Most of the drivers can’t negotiate for rates.
They are being monitored by their navigation systems and fee calculator.
Some of the taxi groups have fees for touring around famous tourist spots.
On the otherhand, because of the monitoring, then can’t rip-off for additional costs.
(Part of drivers might detour for the destination, but should is less than other countries)